Summary of the Novel
After her father dies, Isabel Archer, a young American woman, is brought to England by her aunt, Mrs. Touchett. At Gardencourt, the Touchett’s grand estate outside of London, Isabel meets her elderly uncle, Mr. Touchett; Ralph Touchett, her cousin; and Lord Warburton, an English aristocrat. Isabel, a charming, intelligent woman, is an instant success in her new surroundings. Lord Warburton takes an immediate interest in Isabel and within a few weeks after her arrival at Gardencourt, the Englishman proposes to her. But Isabel declines his offer; at this...
(The entire page is 879 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE