Eighteen-year-old Vera Dietz is struggling to finish her senior year in high school while working forty hours a week as a pizza deliverer. Vera's dad, a recovering alcoholic, is in Vera's words "parsimonious," or frugal. Intent upon making sure his daughter does not make the same mistakes in life that he and his wife did, he constantly pushes her to work and save so that she can pay her way through college. Vera's mother, who gave birth to Vera as a teenager and was employed as a stripper for a time to make ends meet, ran away with another man six years ago. Her mother "doesn't...
(The entire page is 2566 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE