Article abstract: The Pilgrims arrive in North America, establishing a second area of English influence in North America and offering another haven for English citizens who fear religious or political oppression.
Summary of Event
In 1534, as the Protestant Reformation swept across Europe, King Henry VIII separated the Christian Church in England from the Roman Catholic Church. Under his daughter, Elizabeth I, the national Church of England was created by combining some Roman Catholic traditions and doctrines with the beliefs and practices of the new...
(The entire page is 1652 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE