Mr. Winkle fears that Mr. Dowler would seek a duel with him—and that he might end up killing Mr. Dowler—so he escapes to Bristol. Seeking a place to live, he walks into an apothecary shop and discovers Bob Sawyer, who is living now in Bristol with Ben Allen. Bob’s business is slow, but he deceives the community into thinking he is constantly busy.
Ben tells Winkle that he is trying to match Bob and his sister, Arabella, which Winkle does not like to hear. Ben confesses that Arabella resists his efforts, and he suspects that she has a prior attachment. Winkle hopes it might...
(The entire page is 485 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE