At a glance:
- Author: George MacDonald
- First Published: 1858
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Fantasy—magical world
- Time of Work: Unspecified
- Setting: Fairy Land
- Genres: Long fiction, Fantasy, Novel
- Subjects: Folkloric or magical people, Magic or magicians, Supernatural, Other worlds, Religion, Books, Christianity, Quest, Fairies, Mirrors or lenses
- Locales: Mythical lands
On the night of his twenty-first birthday, Anodos (“the way up”) is shown the way into Fairy Land. He confesses to an early interest in such places and is clearly in search of the spiritual essence behind reality, longing for a sense of completion and an acceptance of self.
Anodos is aided on his way by kind and wise cottagers, who provide safe havens on his journey to wisdom. The woods are sometimes his helper, sometimes his foe; he must learn discernment within them. Like many others on such a quest, he is often a slow learner.
It slowly becomes...
(The entire page is 1168 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE