Bruce McCall (review date 9 April 1995)
SOURCE: "Good Dog! Bad Dog!," in The New York Times Book Review, April 9, 1995, p. 11.
[In the following excerpt, McCall offers a mixed assessment of A Dog's Life.]
The One Hundred Cruelest Pet Stories probably won't be showing up at fine booksellers anytime soon. Writers who choose to treat with the world of cats and dogs must tread lightly; pet love tolerates if not lives off the occasional tear in the eye and lump in the throat, and the tender sensibilities at the heart of the man-animal bond must...
(The entire page is 386 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE