Article abstract: Cézanne’s innovative and brilliant style challenged the conventions of nineteenth century art and had a major influence on twentieth century cubists and abstract artists.
Paul Cézanne was born at Aix-en-Provence, a town in the south of France, not far from Marseilles and the Mediterranean. His father’s family came from the Italian Alpine village Cesana (hence the surname) in the seventeenth century and had a history of minor business activities. Louis-Auguste, Paul’s father, started out as a hat maker, at which he was...
(The entire page is 2176 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE