1973: Many young people involved in the counterculture movement band together to form communes where they attempt to live together without the detriments of modern society. Many settle in California and the Pacific Northwest.
1993: In Waco, Texas, many members of a religious commune known as the Branch Davidians die during a violent standoff with U.S. federal agents.
1973: The infant mortality rate in the United States is 56 per 1,000 live births, among the highest of all industrialized nations.
1994: The infant mortality rate in the...
(The entire page is 164 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE