The doctors give Lil a one in four chance of surviving.
On the first Saturday in June, Doug reports to work at Spicer's Deli. He is told by Mr. Spicer that he can no longer keep Doug in his employ, as Lil's hospital bills have left him with no money with which to pay, but Doug stays on anyway. All of his customers that day have good wishes and gifts to send to Lil, which Doug accepts gratefully, but when Mrs. Windermere asks him about his girlfriend's situation, he cannot help but break down and cry. At the library, Mr. Powell has Doug begin work on adding color to his replication...
(The entire page is 896 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE