Fontenrose, Joseph. John Steinbeck: An Introduction and Interpretation. New York: Barnes & Noble, 1963. An analysis of Steinbeck's fiction, giving special attention to the influence of theories of ecology and biology on his works; also examines patterns of mythology that run through all his fiction.
French, Warren. John Steinbeck. Boston: Twayne, 1975. A good survey of Steinbeck's literary career; works are discussed in the order of composition, with some effort made to show how Steinbeck grew as an author.
Hayashi, Tetsumaro, ed. A Study Guide to...
(The entire page is 211 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE