Roy E. Teele (essay date December 1967)
SOURCE: Teele, Roy E. “Comic Noh Essential in the Noh Theater.” Literature East and West 11, no. 4 (December 1967): 350-60.
[In the following essay, Teele argues against critics who have claimed that comic Noh plays have no literary or dramatic value. By examining an ideal program, studying Zeami's remarks, and comparing them to comedies of other traditions, he shows how they have great value and are an essential part of the “one world” of Noh theatre.]
Even a foreigner attending noh plays for the...
(The entire page is 4495 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE