Janet Goff (essay date 1997)
SOURCE: Goff, Janet. “The Role of the Audience in Noh.” Acta Asiatica 73 (1997): 16-38.
[In the following essay, Goff examines the role of spectators in Noh drama, tracing the contributions of early Noh audiences (from the late fourteenth century to the sixteenth century) to the dramatic repertoire, discussing the development of the Noh stage, and exploring the relationship between actors and the audience. Ideographic characters in the following essay have been silently removed.]
Theater is a collaborative...
(The entire page is 11432 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE