Claudio is a young soldier returning from war. He is originally from Florence, a city in northern Italy noted for culture during the Italian Renaissance. His mind has been dominated by thoughts of war. After his return, however, his thoughts have turned in a new direction. He is smitten immediately by Hero, Leonato's daughter. Her looks and gentle behavior have won him over very quickly, almost prior to any conversation or acquaintance with her. He is a conventional lover and, as most critics agree, without much depth or complexity in his character.
Despite his apparent lack of...
(The entire page is 443 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE