At a glance:
- Author: H. P. Lovecraft
- First Published: 1964
- Type of Work: Collected works
- Type of Plot: Science fiction—occult
- Time of Work: The 1920’s and 1930’s
- Setting: New England and Antarctica
- Genres: Long fiction, Science fiction, Magical and occult fantasy, Novel
- Subjects: Magic or magicians, 1920's, 1930's, New England, Antarctica, Expeditions
- Locales: United States, New England, North America, Antarctica
At the Mountains of Madness and Other Novels, which contains the title novella and several of H. P. Lovecraft’s longer tales, was first published in 1964 by Arkham House, the Sauk City, Wisconsin, publishing house created in 1939 by Donald Wandrei and August Derleth for the primary purpose of making Lovecraft’s work generally available to the American public. Until then, Lovecraft’s tales had appeared only in the pages of such “pulp fiction” magazines as Weird Tales and were known to relatively few readers. By the 1950’s, however, thanks to...
(The entire page is 965 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE