Zanmi Lasante is the medical center Dr. Paul Farmer founded in Haiti. On the way to Zanmi Lasante are mountains and villages comprised of wooden huts. Beggars can be seen everywhere. Farmer describes arriving at Zanmi Lasante as a “fortress on its mountainside, a large complex of concrete buildings, half covered with tropical greenery.” Hundreds of people crowd around the outside of the buildings everyday seeking medical treatment. Dr. Farmer begins the day by circulating through the crowd looking for the worst cases. At the end of the day, when...
(The entire page is 1512 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE