Maurice Johnson (essay date May 1958)
SOURCE: Johnson, Maurice. “The Structural Impact of A Modest Proposal.” Bucknell Review 7, no. 4 (May 1958): 234-40.
[In the following essay, Johnson weighs the influence A Modest Proposal derives solely from its syntactical and organizational format.]
A Modest Proposal (1729) has been singled out as the one incontestable example of poetic passion in English Augustan literature. Its pervasive irony, metaphorical contrasts, and paradox have been described as operating on a “grander...
(The entire page is 3009 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE