At a glance:
- Author: George Eliot
- First Published: 1860
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Domestic realism
- Time of Work: Nineteenth century
- Genres: Long fiction, Domestic realism, Novel
- Subjects: Maturation or coming of age, Family or family life, Class conflict, Love or romance, Gender roles, Nineteenth century, Prejudices or antipathies, Villages, Friendship, Brothers and sisters, Law or legislation, England or English people, Duty, Loyalty, Lawyers, Working class, Imagination, Human behavior, Floods, Victorian era or Victorianism, Mills or millwork, Water power
- Locales: Europe, Midlands, England, United Kingdom
*English Midlands. Central region of England. The novel is set in what seems like an idyllic country setting, modeled on Warwickshire, in the English Midlands, where George Eliot grew up as the child Mary Ann Evans. Eliot’s protagonist, Maggie Tulliver, and her brother Tom (Evans had a beloved brother named Isaac) love the river and the countryside. There they pick flowers, fish in the Round Pond, and romp with their dog Yap. Eliot suggests that human beings are nurtured by living close to nature, and that people are, in many...
(The entire page is 1269 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- Explain the last paragraph in ch2 B1 which starts with"Mrs Tulliver was what is called...as it became more and more ineffectual".
- In "The Mill on the Floss, how does George Eliot portray the different ways Maggie relates to Stephen and to Tom in Book 6?
- What is the theme and basic idea of the novel "The Mill on the Floss" by George Eliot? Basically I also want to know full...
- What is the critical appreciation of the book The Mill on the Floss?
- What is the complete summary of the novel The Mill on the Floss? Include details of the characters.