At a glance:
- Author: George Eliot
- First Published: 1860
- Type of Work: Victorian Novel
- Genres: Long fiction, Domestic realism
- Subjects: Maturation or coming of age, Family or family life, Class conflict, Love or romance, Gender roles, Nineteenth century, Prejudices or antipathies, Villages, Friendship, Brothers and sisters, Law or legislation, England or English people, Duty, Loyalty, Lawyers, Working class, Imagination, Human behavior, Floods, Victorian era or Victorianism, Mills or millwork, Water power
- Locales: Midlands, England
The first sections of THE MILL ON THE FLOSS are devoted to a rich evocation of the pains and conflicts of childhood. Maggie Tulliver, a child with a deep hunger for affection and approval, repeatedly acts in impetuous and careless ways that cause rejection by her narrowly self-righteous brother Tom and consternation among her opinionated aunts. As Maggie grows older, her problems intensify. When her father loses a lawsuit and subsequently suffers a stroke, the family is reduced to near poverty. Maggie’s chief solace in these humiliating circumstances is meeting secretly with Philip...
(The entire page is 943 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- Explain the last paragraph in ch2 B1 which starts with"Mrs Tulliver was what is called...as it became more and more ineffectual".
- In "The Mill on the Floss, how does George Eliot portray the different ways Maggie relates to Stephen and to Tom in Book 6?
- What is the theme and basic idea of the novel "The Mill on the Floss" by George Eliot? Basically I also want to know full...
- What is the critical appreciation of the book The Mill on the Floss?
- What is the complete summary of the novel The Mill on the Floss? Include details of the characters.