Article abstract: Gorbachev, as general secretary of the Communist Party and also President of the Soviet Union, made efforts to implement major improvements in the economy and society, underscoring his genuine belief in the need for long-overdue reforms. The revisions and adjustments in Soviet foreign policy that occurred during the Gorbachev era are noteworthy.
Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev was born on March 2, 1931, in the village of Privolnoye, in the Stavropol Territory of the Soviet Union. This agricultural region, located north of the...
(The entire page is 2004 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE