At a glance:
- Author: Ludwik Begleiter
- First Published: 1994
- Type of Plot: Psychological realism
- Time of Work: 1974-1989
- Setting: Italy, China, and the Boston area
- Characters: Max Strong, Charlie Swan, Toby, Camilla, Laura
- Genres: Long fiction, Psychological fiction, Novel
- Subjects: Self-discovery, Gay men, Homosexuality or homosexuals, Art or artists, Friendship, Adultery, Loyalty, AIDS, Wealth
- Locales: Europe, United States, New York, Asia, Pennsylvania, China, Italy, North America, Boston, Massachusetts
As Max Saw It combines introspection and observation in the narration of its principal character, Max Strong, who becomes an intimate of the wealthy and famous. Despite a failed marriage, he prospers and is drawn ever more closely into Charlie Swan’s relationship with Toby, whose death from AIDS leads Charlie to choose the same fate.
At the Rumorosa, the Italian villa of Edna and Rodney Joyce on the edge of Lake Como, Max is introduced by his friend Arthur to the Joyces and their guests. As a poor, salaried academic, Max feels ill at ease, not their...
(The entire page is 2314 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE