John Bemrose (review date 18 October 1993)
SOURCE: Bemrose, John. “Exile in the Spotlight: Honoring a Master of the Modern Short Story.” Maclean's 106, no. 42 (18 October 1993): 66.
[In the following review, Bemrose evaluates the strengths of Across the Bridge within the context of Gallant's career.]
There is something about Mavis Gallant that embodies the timeless appeal of her finest short stories. The Montreal-born, Paris-based author is 71, but might easily pass for 10 or 15 years younger. Her handsome face has a startling clarity,...
(The entire page is 926 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE