At a glance:
- Author: Richard Rhodes
- First Published: 2002
- Type of Work: History
- Time of Work: 1933-1945
- Setting: Germany, Poland, the Czech Republic, Romania, the Slovak Republic, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, and areas of Western Russia occupied by the Nazis
- Characters: Adolf Hitler, Heinrich Himmler, Reinhard Heydrich, Hermann Göring, Odilo Globocnik, Adolf Eichmann, Heinrich Müller, Josef Stalin, Benjamin Ferencz, Michael Musmanno
- Genres: Nonfiction, History
- Subjects: Crime or criminals, Murder or homicide, Police, Twentieth century, Europe or Europeans, 1940's, World War II, 1930's, Ethnic groups, Victims, Violence, Jews or Jewish life, War, Anti-Semitism, Death or dying, Nazism or Nazis, Germany or German people, Eastern Europe or eastern Europeans, Holocaust, Jewish, Soviet Union or Soviets, Concentration camps, Mass murderers or serial killers, Evil, Genocide
- Locales: Germany, Russia, Poland, Romania, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia
Much of substance has been written on the horrendous death camps such as Auschwitz, Sobibor, Treblinka, and Dachau, where millions of Jews and other groups hated by Nazis were killed and then cremated, but scholars have not written extensively on the Einsatzgruppen, or mobile extermination squads, that murdered at least 1.5 million people in Eastern Europe, the Baltic states, and western regions of the former Soviet Union between 1939 and 1942. In this extremely well-researched book, Richard Rhodes explains that although the existence of these mobile extermination squads has been known...
(The entire page is 1706 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE