Article abstract: A memorable screen presence and wit, Mae West was also a breakthrough playwright in the handling of taboo subjects and a role model as a woman in control of her own sexuality.
Because her father was a prize fighter and her mother was a model, Mae West had an early familiarity with show business. Indeed, since she began her stage career as a child, she can hardly be said to have had an early life. By the time she left school at thirteen, she was an established vaudeville performer. While on tour but still under age (giving...
(The entire page is 2381 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE