Three Witches: evil prophets; also known as the Weird Sisters
Duncan: King of Scotland
Malcolm: Duncan’s son
Captain: a wounded Scottish-soldier
Lennox: nobleman of Scotland
Ross: nobleman of Scotland
Macbeth: Duncan’s cousin and General in the military
Banquo: soldier and Macbeth’s friend
Angus: nobleman of Scotland
Lady Macbeth: Macbeth’s wife
The play opens on a bleak and lonely stretch of land in Scotland. Three Witches report...
(The entire page is 1923 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE