At a glance:
- Author: Virginia Hamilton
- First Published: 1974
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Social realism
- Time of Work: 1970’s
- Setting: Cumberland Mountains, near Harenton, Ohio
- Characters: Mayo Cornelius (M. C.) Higgins, Banina Higgins, Jones Higgins, Ben Killburn
- Genres: Long fiction, Social realism, Bildungsroman, Children's literature, Novel
- Subjects: Maturation or coming of age, 1970's, Family or family life, North America or North Americans, United States or Americans, Nature, Friendship, Midwest, Ohio, Home, Mines, miners, or mining, Mountain life
- Locales: United States, Ohio, Cumberland Mountains, Harenton, OH, North America
In M. C. Higgins, the Great, the title character, a tall, athletic, thoughtful black teenager who lives in the Cumberland Mountains, must come to terms with conflicting allegiances, to his father and the traditions of his family, on one hand, and to his mother and the younger children in the family, on the other. Faced with a threat to the family that is beyond his control, M. C. learns that being an adult means doing one’s limited best in an imperfect world.
Although M. C. Higgins, the Great moves chronologically, the author also moves...
(The entire page is 2591 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE