Catherine Paterson was born October 31, 1932, in Qing Jiang, China to George Raymond and Mary Goetchius Womeldorf, Presbyterian missionaries. As a child, Paterson was often read to by her mother and she taught herself how to read before she entered school. During the next few years, Paterson moved fifteen times to places such as Shanghai, China; Richmond, Virginia; and Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Because she moved around so much, Paterson often felt like an outsider, much like the children who appear in many of her novels. Paterson attended King College in Bristol, Tennessee where she...
(The entire page is 502 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE