Donald Davie (essay date 1981)
SOURCE: Davie, Donald. “Lyric Minimum & Epic Scope: Lorine Niedecker.” PN Review 8, no. 5 (1981): 31-33.
[In the following essay, Davie discusses the use of Great Lakes history in Niedecker's poetry, as well as Niedecker's use of grammar structure and prose.]
Lorine Niedecker's ‘Lake Superior’, as it appeared in her sumptuously printed North Central (Fulcrum Press, 1968), consists of twelve short or very short passages of verse. Accordingly it can be quoted in full:
In every part of every...
(The entire page is 3139 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE