Victor: the main character of several stories; he is nine years old in this opening tale.
Adolph and Arnold: Victor’s uncles, whose drunken fight during a New Year’s Eve party provides a focal point for the story.
Victor’s father and mother: the protagonist’s parents, who remain unnamed in this story.
The book opens with a story about the metaphorical arrival of a hurricane on the Spokane Indian Reservation on New Year’s Eve of 1976. The story is told in a third-person narrative voice from the perspective of...
(The entire page is 2166 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE