At one point in the novel, Humbert admits that he never found out the laws governing his relationship with Lolita. Investigate what rights Humbert had as a stepfather in 1955 and what the penalties for incest were.
Research the psychological term "obsession" and apply it to Humbert.
Read Thomas Mann's Death in Venice and compare and contrast each novel's treatment of obsession and its effects.
Investigate the effects of incest on children and compare your findings to the effects Lolita's relationship with Humbert...
(The entire page is 101 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE