Search for the Meaning of Life
When Shiftlet approaches the Crater’s farm, it is not clear what type of person he is. What is apparent is that he is searching for something. By marrying Lucynell and then abandoning her, he has missed an opportunity to experience redemption (an event symbolized by the ‘‘guffawing peal of thunder’’ and his anguished plea to God at the end of the story). Shiftlet has failed to bring meaning into his transient life. He entered the Craters’s lives as a lonely wanderer, and he leaves it the same way.
Given the gradually...
(The entire page is 1000 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE