Alvin Aubert, “Ernest J. Gaines: Overview,” in Contemporary Novelists, 6th ed., edited by Susan Windisch Brown, St. James Press, 1996.
Jerry H. Bryant, Iowa Review, Winter, 1972.
Paul Desruisseaux, in New York Times Book Review, May 23, 1971.
Joseph McLellan, in Washington Post, January 13, 1976.
Larry McMurtry, in New York Times Book Review, November 19, 1967.
Alice Walker, in New York Times Book Review, October 30, 1983.
For Further Study
(The entire page is 461 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE