David Matual (essay date 1981)
SOURCE: "The Confession as Subtext in The Death of Ivan Wich," in The International Fiction Review, Vol. 8, No. 2, Summer, 1981, pp. 124-28.
[In the following essay, Matual argues that the experiences of Ivan Ilitch in The Death of Ivan Ilitch are a fictional parallel to Tolstoy's spiritual crisis in his Confession.]
In the late 1870's, Leo Tolstoy experienced a dramatic spiritual transformation as a result of which he devoted himself almost exclusively to the writing of such religious treatises as...
(The entire page is 3726 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE