1810: Irving's home town, New York City, is a major metropolitan center with a population of 80,000. The population of the United States is 7,239,881.
1990: The population of New York City is 7,322,564.
1810s: Women's bodies are thought to be attractive if they are, like, Katrina Van Tassel's,' 'plump as a partridge.'' Many women think it is vulgar to be thin enough that the shape of their bones is revealed.
1990s: Women are expected to be thin. Defined cheekbones are a mark of beauty.
1810s: Few people in a rural village are...
(The entire page is 193 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE