- Joseph Conrad (Cyclopedia of World Authors, Fourth Revised Edition)
- Joseph Conrad (Dictionary of World Biography: The 20th Century)
- Joseph Conrad (Critical Survey of Long Fiction, Fourth Edition)
- Joseph Conrad (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
- Theory of Short Fiction (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
At a glance:
- Author: Joseph Conrad
- First Published: 1898
- Type of Plot: Symbolist
- Time of Work: The late 1890’s
- Setting: Malaysia
- Characters: Tuan, Arsat
- Genres: Short fiction, Frame story
- Subjects: Love or romance, Courage, Betrayal, Guilt, Fear, Death or dying, Sick persons, Adventure, Honor
- Locales: Asia, Malaysia
Toward dusk in a tropical lagoon, a white man arrives by boat at the hut of Arsat, a Malayan whom he had befriended years earlier. Arsat greets him at the doorway with an anxious, fearful look and asks the white man, whom he calls “Tuan,” if he has brought some medicine. Tuan asks who is sick, and Arsat brings him to the bedside of Diamelen, his woman. She has been stricken with fever and is seriously ill. Fearful that she will die, Arsat and Tuan keep watch by the fire outside the hut. As night arrives, plunging the lagoon into an unquiet darkness, Arsat begins to...
(The entire page is 1374 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- In "The Lagoon," how is it that Arsat and the White Man are friends?
- Character of Arsat in Joseph Conrad's THE LAGOON Thank you Shyamasree
- What is the significance of the title of the modern short story "The Lagoon" by Joseph Conrad?
- Describe the characters in the short story "The Lagoon" Who are the characters? What are there involvement in the story?
- In Conrad's "The Lagoon," single out some of the lines that demonstrate the flowing, rhythmic quality of his prose. Joseph Conrad, a...