Geraldine Cousin (essay date 1994)
SOURCE: Cousin, Geraldine. Introduction to Shakespeare in Performance: King John, pp. 1-27. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 1994.
[In the following excerpt, Cousin surveys the performance and critical history of King John, listing significant adaptations of the drama and summarizing major movements in its reception and interpretation.]
KING JOHN IN THE SIXTEENTH AND SEVENTEENTH CENTURIES
The few incontestable facts concerning the early history of King John are soon told: in...
(The entire page is 10054 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE