Edana (called Dana throughout the novel): A 26-year-old African American woman, the first-person narrator of the novel.
Kevin Franklin: The narrator’s husband, who is later revealed to be Caucasian and 15 years older than Dana.
Rufus Weylin: A red-headed boy who lives in the world that Dana disappears to, who Dana will later realize is her ancestor.
Alice: A free black who lives on the edge of the Weylin property, also Dana’s ancestor.
“I lost an arm on my last trip home. My left...
(The entire page is 2017 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE