Rod Phillips (essay date Spring 1994)
SOURCE: "Purloined Letters: The Scarlet Letter in Kathy Acker's Blood and Guts in High School," in Critique: Studies in Contemporary Fiction, Vol. 35, No. 3, Spring, 1994, pp. 173-80.
[In the following essay, Phillips explores the significance of Acker's allusions to Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter in Blood and Guts in High School.]
In the years since critics first took notice of Kathy Acker, considerable comment has been made on her use of other writers' language and plot lines...
(The entire page is 3923 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE