At a glance:
- Author: Karl Marx
Karl Marx occupies a pivotal place in the history of the international socialist movement. A passionately committed revolutionary theorist and activist, he worked tirelessly to bring about the overthrow of capitalism and believed that he had discovered the historical laws that would inevitably produce its collapse. As an integral part of his philosophical system, he developed a materialistically based theory of ethics in which the prevailing moral principles of any historical period were seen as reflections of the underlying economic process and the interests and...
(The entire page is 1434 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- Can someone please help me and explain Marxism theory and how can it be relate to what is happening in our society today. Can someone please...
- What does Marx mean "it is not the consciousness of men that determines their existence but their social existence that determines their...
- What is Karl Marx's view of the future? This question relates the Communist Manifesto.
- Identify the general ideas in Marxism.
- How did Karl Marx view social stratification?