Jurgis and Ona are finally married, but the wedding feast leaves them one hundred dollars in debt. The morning after the wedding, the family goes to work, half asleep from the late hours and heavy eating. Ona cannot be late or she will lose her position. Stanislovas almost loses his job when he twice falls asleep at the lard-filling machine. It takes a week for all of them to recover. Jurgis regrets putting his new wife in such a precarious position, in which she must work so hard merely to survive. He vows to work harder so that her life will be easier.
Dede Antanas must work in...
(The entire page is 430 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE