Jude is an eleven year old orphan living with his great aunt in Marygreen, a provincial town about 20 miles from Christminster, the university modeled after Oxford. Although of working class background, he develops an interest in getting a university education. Richard Phillotson, the former schoolmaster, sends him old Greek and Latin textbooks and Jude begins to study for several years on his own, while working first as a bakery cart driver and then as an apprentice to a stonemason.
However, his studies are interrupted when he meets and marries Arabella, whose earthiness and...
(The entire page is 1066 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE