Gillingham: Phillotson’s childhood friend, he offers comfort when Sue leaves
Waiting Maid: hotel staff member who tells Sue that Jude was there with Arabella
Chairman of the School Committee: demands that Phillotson resign after Sue leaves
Itinerants: people who defend Phillotson at his public hearing
“At Shaston” begins with a description of the town, remote and known for its wantonness. Jude arrives to visit Sue and together they play hymns on the same piano that Phillotson had at Marygreen. Both are...
(The entire page is 1560 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE