Coretta Scott King's introduction to Josh Gibson notes that reading the stories of Gibson and other
courageous men and women not only helps us discover the principles that we will use to guide our own lives but also teaches us to know the heroes and heroines of our history and to realize that the price we paid in our struggle for equality in America was dear. But we must also understand that we have gotten as far as we have partly because America's democratic system made it possible.
It is asking much to make a star athlete an example of a...
(The entire page is 286 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE