William Vesterman (essay date summer 1984)
SOURCE: Vesterman, William. “The Motives of Meter in ‘Bells for John Whiteside's Daughter.’” The Southern Quarterly 22, no. 4 (summer 1984): 42-53.
[In the following essay, Vesterman analyzes the meter of “Bells for John Whiteside's Daughter.”]
… metre is fundamental in the problem posed to the artist … Here let us ask the question always in order against a Milton poem: What was the historical metrical pattern already before him, and what are the liberties he takes with it?...
(The entire page is 4993 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE