Louise Cowan (essay date 1987)
SOURCE: Cowan, Louise. “Innocent Doves: Ransom's Feminine Myth of the South.” In American Letters and the Historical Consciousness: Essays in Honor of Lewis P. Simpson, edited by J. Gerald Kennedy and Daniel Mark Fogel, pp. 191-213. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1987.
[In the following essay, Cowan elucidates Ransom's Southern attitude toward women as evinced in his poetry.]
The poems of John Crowe Ransom have been held in high regard during his lifetime and well beyond, widely heralded despite...
(The entire page is 9757 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE