Kieran Quinlan (essay date 1989)
SOURCE: Quinlan, Kieran. “Poems about ‘God.’” In John Crowe Ransom's Secular Faith, pp. 14-24. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1989.
[In the following essay, Quinlan contends that the religious themes of the poems comprising Poems about God reflect Ransom's early religious development.]
Perhaps what strikes one most about Ransom as he prepared to return to the United States from Oxford in 1913 is his general buoyancy. Certainly that is the case whenever one thinks of a morbid Eliot in...
(The entire page is 4298 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE