Brad Leithauser (review date 5 August 1991)
SOURCE: Leithauser, Brad. “Sly Visitor.” The New Republic 205, no. 6 (5 August 1991): 36-41.
[In the following review of the reissue of Ransom's Selected Poems, Leithauser determines the reasons for the poet's waning popularity and urges a reappraisal and greater attention to his verse.]
In one of his sonnets John Crowe Ransom conjures up a pair of lovers with the phrase “a broken whispering by night,” words that might also describe the passing of the centenary of his birth three years...
(The entire page is 4363 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE