At a glance:
- Author: Johannes V. Jensen
Other literary forms
In addition to his novels, Johannes V. Jensen (YEHN-sehn) wrote a large number of essays dealing with evolutionary, anthropological, and historical topics. He also was a master of the shorter prose form, primarily seen in his series of Himmerland stories and myths. The stories are principally studies of characters from the Danish countryside, rendered with humor and irony but also permeated with a tragic view of life as meaningless, whereas the myths—embodying the core concept of Jensen’s aesthetics—are lyric and symbolic sketches of humankind, nature,...
(The entire page is 2890 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE