1. At what point in Scenes1 and 2 does the recurring image of the road appear? What significance does the road have for the former slaves?
2. Who is Martha Pentecost, and why won’t Seth tell Herald that he knows where Martha lives?
3. What is the Binding Song, where does it come from, and what is its significance to Bynum?
4. What are Rutherford Selig’s occupations? What power does he derive from them?
5. What occupations did Rutherford Selig’s father and grandfather have? How are these occupations linked to...
(The entire page is 537 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe to the eNotes Teacher's Edition for access to this content as well as all eNotes lesson plans. Plus get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE