At a glance:
- Author: Torquato Tasso
- First Published: 1581
- Type of Work: Poetry
- Type of Plot: Epic
- Time of Work: The Middle Ages
- Setting: The Holy Land
- Genres: Poetry, Epic, Romance, medieval, Narrative poetry
- Subjects: Magic or magicians, God, War, Devils or demons, Israel or Israelis, Middle Ages, Middle East, Battles, Satan or Satanism, Crusades
- Locales: Asia, Holy Land
God, who is on the side of the Christians.
The archangel Gabriel
The archangel Gabriel, sent by God in the seventh year of the Crusade to encourage the Crusaders in beginning their march on Jerusalem.
The archangel Michael
The archangel Michael, sent by God to inspire the Christians during the final stages of the capture of the city.
Satan, who is on the side of the Pagans.
Godfrey de Bouillon
Godfrey de Bouillon, the leader of the Crusaders, victorious after many...
(The entire page is 883 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE