At a glance:
- Author: James Thurber
- First Published: 1995
- Type of Work: Literary biography
- Time of Work: 1894-1961
- Setting: Columbus, Ohio; New York City; rural Connecticut; Paris; London
- Characters: James Thurber, Helen Thurber, Harold Ross, E. B. White
- Genres: Criticism, Nonfiction, Biography
- Subjects: Authors or writers, Blindness or blind persons, Literature, Marriage, Writing, Creative process, Comedy, Humorists, Animation or cartoons
- Locales: New York, NY, Connecticut, Paris, France, London, England, Columbus, OH
Harrison Kinney’s critical biography of James Thurber is also a literary history of one of the most important chapters in twentieth century American literary history: the founding and early decades of The New Yorker magazine, when that journal and its writers were at the center of an exhilarating New York literary life. Thurber’s story and the history of the magazine are inextricably tied together in their best decades of the 1930’s and 1940’s.
Thurber was to become the most important American humorist of the twentieth century—as Mark Twain had been for the...
(The entire page is 1934 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- Could you please describe the personalities of the characters in the short story "The Unicorn in the Garden" written by James Thurber?
- What is the moral of "The Unicorn in the Garden"? Explain?
- In The Greatest Man in the World, what is the fall out of the window symbolic of?
- What is the point Fames Thurber is trying to make in his essay "My Secret World of Idiom"?
- in the unicorn in the garden how did the plot of the wife to send her husband to an asylum turn sour?
Test Your Knowledge